Homeowners that know their way around a hammer, saw, or drill like the challenge of taking on home repairs themselves. A Do-it-Yourself attitude is always a healthy attitude to have, as long as you know what projects you can attempt yourself and what you should leave to professionals, and this includes your roof.
If a DIY repair enthusiast sees that their roof is in need of repair or replacement, they may have the urge to get up there and fix it on their own. So is this something that homeowners should be attempting on their own? To give you an idea if home roof repair is a feasible option, let’s look into some pros and cons of hiring a roofer vs. doing it yourself.
Hiring a Roofing Company vs. Just Doing It Yourself
Pros of DIY
- The number one reason many DIY enthusiasts like to do their own repairs is to save on their bottom line. You likely will save money by taking care of roof issues yourself.
- The repair can be completed on your own timeline.
Cons of DIY
- Roofing is an applied skill. There are great online tutorials out there on how to take care of many residential issues but keep in mind that roofing is a skill so a DIY repair might work, but it will likely not be the most efficient and effective repair. Failure to take care of your roof properly will leave you with a much larger bill than if you had just hired a roofer in the first place.
- Stepping on a ladder or roof is always dangerous, even for low-slope roofs.
Pros Hiring a Roofer
- You know the job will be taken care of by an expert.
- Any type of repair or replacement will likely be covered by a warranty or useful life guarantee.
- May not cost as much as you think, just get an estimate!
- Don’t have to risk life or limb by climbing up on your roof or ladder.
Cons of Hiring a Roofer
- Might cost you more
- Have to find, schedule, and meet someone out at your property.
When it comes to your roof, the benefits of hiring a roofer will usually outweigh the benefits of working on your roof itself. As long as you call on a reputable and local roofing company, you can have your roof issue taken care of by an expert hand. So don’t get on that dangerous ladder, just call a roofer.